Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Climbing Mt Monadnock

This Saturday is going to be a georgeous 70 degrees so I am heading to New Hampshire to climb Mt Monadnock. Why not? It will be good practice for my upcoming backpacking trip to Utah in only 8 days! Stories and pictures to come...

So you know what they say about the weather in New England...if you dont like it, just wait 5 minutes. This is so true. All week/weekend it was georgeous one minute with sun then thunder and lightning the next and back to sun. So Saturday I decided against hiking but I was determined to risk the weather on Sunday and go for it!

I got up early and headed up to Jaffrey, New Hampshire through central/western Mass. Passing though Leominster which apparently is the home of Johnny Appleseed. I didnt even think he was real...I need to wikipedia this. Anyway, made it up to Jaffrey by 9am and into Monadnock State Park. As I entered the park and talked to the park ranger at the gate I noticed swarms of bugs flying around his head. I have never seen so many bugs in my life!!! Not mosquitos but small flies (and they do bite! Luckily not as much as mosquitos though). I was very glad to have long pants and long sleeve shirt on or else I would have been eaten alive.

The hike was 4 miles round trip to the top of the mountain sitting at 3165' elevation. It was a pretty good hike up to the top. When I hike by myself I am a speed demon though...up and down in 2.5 hours with 15 minutes at the top. The views were beautiful and the weather was great until about 15 min from the bottom when dark clouds started to roll in and sprinkles came. I enjoyed myself! I stopped every now and then to take a picture of the valley or of myself (thanks Corey for the lesson on 10 sec timer). There are few pictures below from the hike. My roommate Tim wants to do this hike at sunrise. That will be next time.

Fun fact: This mountain is estimated to be the second or third most hiked mountain in the world behind Mt. Fuji in Japan.





No comments:

Post a Comment