Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Boston Tour with Mom

Hello again from Boston!! I am still loving it here and loving the sun we get. I think April will be literally April showers bring May flowers but I can take rain for an hour or two and then sun the rest of the day. I don't miss the dark, gloomy OR weather at all! Sorry for you Oregonians. :(

This past weekend my mom came to Boston. It was wonderful to see her. Time flies..it had been over 3 months since I had seen her or anyone from OR. We spent the whole weekend in the city. It was great because even though I take the train into the city everyday for work I never actually get to see any of it. It was a beautiful weekend luckily. It poured rain on Friday night when she arrived from Portland but by Saturday morning the sun was shining and the temperature not bad without the wind chill.

We walked and walked and walked for hours but lets see if I can catch the highlights:

*My mom's highlight was the Fenway Park Tour I think. It was very cool! It has so much history. Next year it will be 100 years old and will officially be a historic monument. It made me very excited for Sox game this season. Opening day at Fenway is Friday against the Yankees. What a day in Boston! I think its one of the big "holidays" in Boston in the Spring. The stadium was built in 1912 and was home to a winning team for a decade or so until the park was leased to the Yankees and many of the players were sold to them as well. A very interesting tour.




*We also did a part of the Freedom Trail. This is a tour of Boston followed by a red line or line of bricks around the city going past many of the historic buildings and monuments. We saw Paul Revere's house, the North church, square where the Boston Massacre took place along with the wonderful North End. The North End is called "little Italy" and is supposed to have wonderful food. It should be the place to be in the summer.



*Our walking continued taking us from Northeastern (my new grad school) along Huntington Ave, past the Boston Public Library and through Boston Commons (a huge park in the center of the city). The entry way in the library looked like the entrance to the palace in Madrid. It was so great and I think I will have to come back to do an art and architecture tour of the library. I also got my library card so I can use it at any library in the Boston area.



*Harvard Square was also on the list. It was a very small, cute shopping area next to Harvard University. The most important part at least for my mom was the small window reading "Dewey, Chettam and Howe", the home of Car Talk on NPR. We also walked along the edge of Harvard campus. It is just awesome! All brick and really lives up to its prestigious name I think. (I will have to venture there later in the spring to take a better look). The tour ended at a local Irish pub for lunch. You cant come to Boston without at least stepping into an Irish Pub.



*And lets not forget the shopping...we did a little tour of Copley Square and The Pru (short for The Prudential Center) on Friday night. We also stopped in at Faneuil Hall...it has been around for lets say 300 or 400 years as the market of Boston. It is now filled with a food court and Banana Republic but the buildings look the same.

I think those are the highlights. Next on the travel agenda is hiking Mt Major in NH next weekend...assuming the weather holds.

1 comment:

  1. Natasha
    Great pictures and sounds like a great time!!
    Grandpa and I look forward to reading about your writings and pictures.

    Gandma Alice

    ReplyDelete