Friday, April 22, 2011

Patriots Day!

Oh how I love state holidays in Massachusetts. This past Monday was Patriots Day to commemorate the first battle and start of the American Revolution. This includes Paul Revere's ride, the battle of Lexington, the shot heard around the world and the battle of Lexington and Concord. It is also the day of the Boston Marathon. All in all a very important day in the spring for Boston.

I decided to spend Patriots Day by trying to see a little bit of everything. First, I got up at 4:30a to head to Lexington, MA (about 20 min away) to see the re-enactment of The Battle of Lexington. Upon arrival to Lexington it was still dark and as we walked towards the town square we passed colonial soldiers and red coats alike. It was a very surreal feeling...nothing you could ever experience in OR or even on the west coast. It is a different world out here. Even though we arrived at 5am we were still later than a lot of people and unfortunately did not get the best viewing area. The pictures I have are limited but I will post some just so you can get the idea. It literally felt like you were in 1775 at the Battle. I am definitely going back next year for longer and trying to get tickets so I can actually see everything.
The re-enactment lasted only about 30 min starting with a member of the Minute Men Society setting the scene. The Battle of Lexington was the first encounter of the Revolutionary War. Paul Revere had rode all night to the town of Lexington to worn Samuel Adams and John Hancock that the British were coming. The battle we saw was where the British met up with colonial soldiers who came out of their houses and across town to the town square to fight. The British won and pushed the colonial forces back to Concord about 8 miles away where another battle ensued later in the day (this is also re-enacted later). The actors actually do hike the 8 miles to Concord every Patriots Day. Overall very cool experience and it made me realize I have forgotten a lot of my 4th grade history. The pictures below are of Paul Revere's statue in Lexington Square and the red coats marching into battle.






After the re-enactment we went into the city for the Red Sox game versus the Blue Jays. We won 9-1 and it was a great game! Our seats were great as you can tell from the pictures. I cant wait to go to another game.




After the game we continued to the center of the city where the Boston Marathon was starting to end. The Boston Marathon is a huge deal because not just anyone can run it you have to qualify for it by running another marathon. It was quite the sight to see. The run goes mostly down Commonwealth Ave, a beautiful street lined with old homes. It was very cool to be downtown and in the mix of it.

Overall the day was long but very fun! I love Boston!

No comments:

Post a Comment