Last night I attended "American Night" at Scott Base, the New Zealand Base, that is about 1.5 miles away. The kiwi base is not open to Americans or anyone that doesn't work there unless invited or during American night every Thursday. It was great fun! It was such a gorgeous day yesterday (21 degrees! A record high since I got here) so me and couple friends walked over the hill and down to Scott Base. There are about 50 kiwis that work there so it is quite a bit smaller than McMurdo but quite a bit nicer. It is all green buildings but they are very nice inside. I stopped by their store and looked around. I didn't buy anything yet but I think I will have to buy something with a Scott Base logo. They take both $NZ and $US so that is nice. From the base there is great views of Mt Erebus (the active volcano on the island) as well views of the ice jutting out of the ocean where sea ice and continent meet.
Unfortunately most of the kiwis don't hang out too long on American night so it was mostly hanging out with Americans in the kiwi bar but it was still a good time. I will definitely have to go back in a couple weeks and do a few hikes there and take some more pictures. I will post the couple pictures I do have of the base tonight hopefully!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment