Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Vessel

On Monday, the annual re-supply ship came into town. This is the ship that resupplies the town for winter and the entire next year. We do fly some stuff down on planes but most of it comes on this ship. This year, the highlights are 2 new ambulances, 4 tractors (possibly for the South Pole Traverse), tons of food and 477 other filled milvans. Going back on the ship is mostly waste and more waste but we are also sending the parts to the original South Pole dome that was demolished this year. Most documentaries regarding Antarctica show this dome as the feature. We now have a nice new station.
The town has gone dry for this vessel evolution and most people have switched to 12 hour shifts. I started working 6am to 6pm (except today) until the boat leaves which usually takes about 6 days...so if I am lucky I will get my Sunday off but I doubt it. It is a very intense time of year and the whole town is exhausted. After vessel leaves it is pretty much get people on planes and party since they are leaving. :)

Here is a picture the day it came it. The weather was still gorgeous and many whales have been spotted in the water behind it. Most photos to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment