The Swedish ice breaker, The Oden, came in last week and will stay until the first week of February to help break up ice in the sound for the tanker and re-supply ship. It comes to the dock every now and again to get supplies and such but mostly it is out in the sound breaking ice. I was one of the few lucky McMurdoians that got a tour of the ship. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me at work for the tour. (Hopefully I will get some from other people from no guarantees).
It was a very nice ship. It reminded me a lot of the ship my dad and I rode up the Chilean coast last February only nicer. It has 22 crew and can hold up to 50 scientists. It has jets under the bow that pump warm water on the ice to help melt it so it breaks up easier.
Hopefully I can find some pictures to help people visualize. The tanker to refuel McMurdo comes this weekend so I will work on those pictures too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment