It is -13 with a windchill of -37. I think this is the coldest day since I landed at McMurdo. There is only 1/4 mile visability and there is frost forming on all the powerlines and well anything outside. It is so cold that I have to wear gloves to turn door handles. But I guess it is the Antarctic...
Yesterday was the first successful South Pole flight of the season. Of course today all the flights are cancelled. There are currently about 900 people here at McMurdo. 93 people are still waiting for the flights to the pole and we should have maybe another 100 or so to come down for the season. It is booming! There are so many things to do here. Tonight I am going to an Abs class. Plus also this week they have tap dancing, vball teams, rock climbing, other dance and exercise classes and a ton of movies to name just a few things. There is also a rugby team who practices once or twice a week for the sole purpose of 1 game in January against the Kiwis (New Zealand Base). It is quite the event apparently where the whole town goes and watches them play on the SEA ICE. Crazy!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That sounds like so much fun- minus the terribly cold weather of course! I am glad they have so many things to do.
ReplyDeleteWoot rugby game, put 10$ on the Kiwis for me!
ReplyDeleteStay in doors today.
Stay warm and have lots of fun!! It is 85 degrees om Yuma. Do they have a swimming pool among all the activities? I went today it was a little windy!!
ReplyDeleteGrandma Alice