Sunday, October 4, 2009

"The Crud" and CDC

As everything in the Antarctic world, the common cold has a name too, "The Crud." And I have it. After that lovely time traveling I am now infected with "The Crud". So much for getting out and exploring Christchurch. I have done my best and did head to a couple close attractions. However, my main goal has been to get rest so I am not sick for my first day of work.

This morning we got to pick up our ECW (Extreme Cold Weather Gear) at the CDC (Clothing Distribution Center) in Cheech (Christchurch). We got everything from boots, thick socks, wind proof bibs, fleece shirt and pants, long johns, ski goggles...and of course the big red parka. I don't think I will ever be cold.

And as of right now we were be departing to the ice tomorrow morning. 4:30a wake up call! They are combining some flights today and tomorrow and leaving the cargo so we can get more people down there. Hopefully tomorrow I will be writing from Antarctica!

1 comment:

  1. Pleeeeeease post pictures of you in your gear asap. Have you tried it on yet? Do you feel like a marshmallow?

    ReplyDelete